Specialties: Adventure Family Travel with Young Children
Hometown: Buffalo, NY
Current Location: Tokyo, Japan
Favorite Travel Memory: Summiting Kilimanjaro
Best Travel Tip: You never need to pack as much as you think you do.
I am Mackenzie, a military spouse, and mom to a very active toddler, and lively infant. I have traveled to 65 countries, mostly solo, but now I bring along my son and daughter, and we are at 15 and counting with kids.
When I was pregnant, everyone who knew how much I traveled kept telling me it was over. They said I would now “settle down,” live our little life in Texas, and never be as adventurous as I once was. That wasn’t true for me, and it doesn’t have to be true for others.
Having a baby or starting a family isn’t the end of your life. It’s just the next step. You can still experience the amazing world around you, you might just need to bring some more wet wipes.
My goal is to prove that travel isn’t just for young college students. Travel can enrich families and create educated, empathetic, and worldly little ones.
At two my kids have made friends with Finnish children on ferries in the Baltic, ridden camels in Morocco, danced on the cobblestone streets with his extended family in
Anywhere with Mountains
My Travel Must-Haves
A Guide Book
A local Treat
Fun Facts About Me
- I have lived in 5 states, and 3 countries on 3 continents.
- I had never been west of the Mississippi until I was 23 and then spent most of my 20s living in the West/Midwest
- I have 2 kids, a boy and a girl, who were both born in Texas
- I would choose a mountain vacation over a beach any day
- To facilitate my travels when younger I often worked in hostels or local small businesses so I could stay longer
- I always incorporate some kind of physical activity into my travels, usually hiking
- My favorite souvenir is a children’s book in the local language for my kids
- Before I travel I try to read a book either about the location or by a local author
- I have Master of Fine Arts in Writing from Spalding University
- I am an INFJ
Where I’ve Been
Mackenzie World Map
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.